The Child Pose (Balasana)
This is a really great lower back stretch to do after exercise, or just a long day sitting at your desk.
1. Position yourself on the floor on your hands and knees, with knees spread apart (as wide as is comfortable).
2. Walk your hands out in front of you, palms down.
3. Gently sit back on your heels, keeping your arms out in front of you and letting them drag back along the floor.
4. Slowly bring your hands back alongside your feet, palms up, relaxing your elbows.
5. Let your upper back broaden. Soften and relax your lower back, resting your forehead on the floor.
6. Hold for one minute, breathing softly.
Illustration: Zoë Bryant