You would not be-lieve how challenging it is to be smutty about ‘the mountain climber’. It crossed our mind to segue into song, a la Sound of Music, for a punchy opener for this one but c’mon, we’re all above that and we wouldn’t offend you with anything so crass.
So, here’s a full body work out… Sorry, that’s the best we can do. If you can think up something better, let us know. Hats off to you who try.
Working the whole body, this is an excellent move for building muscular endurance and burning calories.
1. Begin in a push-up position, on your hands and toes.
2. Flexing the knee and hip, bring one leg forward until your toe is approximately under your hip.
3. Explosively switch the positions of your legs, extending the bent leg until straight and supported by the toe, whilst bringing the other toe up under the hip.
4. Repeat, constantly alternating legs.
5. Perform 3 sets of 20 seconds, with 40 seconds rest in between sets. As this gets easier, reduce rest time to 20 seconds.
Illustration: Sarah Silverstein