This week we ask you to try out a bit of cheeky swinging to get that blood pumping.
The Kettlebell Swing
The King of kettlebell movements, this is a great full body move to get your muscles working, blood pumping and to burn calories.
1. Place a kettlebell between your feet – start off with the lightest weight until you get used to the movement and are confident with your form.
2. Push back with your hips and bend your knees to get into the starting position. Your back should be flat and you should be looking straight ahead.
3. Take the kettlebell in one hand and swing it between your legs, powering through the movement.
4. Quickly reverse the direction and drive though with your hips, swinging the kettlebell straight out in front of you as you stand up fully.
5. Swing the kettlebell back between your legs and repeat.
6. Perform 2-3 sets of 30 seconds per arm.
The Kettlebell Swing can be a tricky exercise to get right, so it’s worth asking someone at the gym to check and correct your form when you’re first trying it. As well as keeping you safe and injury free, this will ensure you’re hitting all the right muscle groups effectively and getting the best out of the exercise.
Illustration: James Gibbs