For maximum effectiveness for this week’s position, you need to bend over.
This move takes a bit of concentration to hit the right muscle groups, but performed correctly, it’s great for the shoulders and upper back!
1. Sit on a bench with your knees bent at about 45 degrees, feet flat on the floor.
2. Bend over, resting your torso on your thighs.
3. Grasp a pair of dumbbells with palms facing together just by your ankles, with your elbows slightly bent.
4. Raise your upper arms to your sides, bringing your elbows up to shoulder height. Keep your upper arms perpendicular to your torso and your elbows fixed in position throughout the exercise.
5. Maintain the height of your elbows above your wrists by angling your thumbs down slightly.
6. Lower and repeat.
7. Perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps with a challenging weight.
Illustration: Sara Gelfgren